Title- “Financial Accountant” (REIT)
Work Tax Location– Newport Beach, CA (open location- operating remotely)
Rate- $80-93/hr (3 month assignment with possibility of extension)
Position Start: ASAP
The Alternative Funds Finance Team is seeking to add a temporary professional with strong investment company and/or alternative asset accounting experience to the Financial Control Team. The role requires a highly proficient accountant with alternatives experience and product exposure to manage the complexities of diversified hybrid funds. This team member will be responsible for the accounting and reporting of 4 Private Equity Funds focused on credit strategies.
- Assist in the investment closing process for illiquid assets focusing on the functions of finance, treasury, accounting and reporting. Collaborate and communicate effectively across multiple stakeholders, including portfolio management, tax and legal professionals; in addition to the fund controller, operations team and administrator.
- Monitor and maintain illiquid investments for financial accounting and reporting, including complex security accounting and income recognition, valuation and performance.
- Manage real estate joint venture capital call and expense approval processes including coordination with external business partners and internal stakeholders
- Liaise with internal asset managers and provide support for various ad-hoc requests
- Oversee the external audit process for multiple custom investment joint ventures
- Review ongoing accounting reports delivered by real estate equity joint venture partners including statements of equity, waterfall calculations, and financial statements. Resolve any issues in a timely manner.
- Work with the tax and legal teams to assist in the design and set-up of investment structures for private equity, real estate and other illiquid investments.
- Communicate effectively with the fund accounting administrator and other stakeholders to identify and solve issues as they arise.
- Contribute to the quarterly close process for certain Alternative Funds
- Oversee the completion of various regulatory, debt covenant compliance, and other reporting requirements.
- Assist with the oversight of 4 Private Equity Funds focused in credit and real estate strategies.
- Target range of 4-7 years of experience in financial accounting, audit or finance function for an alternative investment manager with exposure to credit, real estate, private equity funds or hedge funds
- Ability to implement accounting and reporting for investment structures for different asset classes
- Desire to understand transaction process flows and requirements and develop processes to solve complexities as they arise
- Exposure to private equity and hedge fund structures
- Experience with external audit processes and procedures
- Knowledge of accounting principles including US GAAP and Investment Company Accounting
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in Accounting or Finance
- Active or Desired CPA license
REQUIRED CANDIDATE PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
- Good quantitative/analytical and problem solving skills
- Highly organized, proficient at time management / project management
- Keen desire to learn and quickly absorbs new knowledge
- Excellent written /verbal communication skills
- Balance a sharp focus on details with an awareness of the bigger picture
- Foster a sense of teamwork, assisting others when needed /required