JOB DESCRIPTION (San Francisco, CA)
TITLE: Legal Secretary
LOCATION: San Francisco, California (Hybrid)
The Legal Secretary provides secretarial and administrative support to the direct and in-direct assigned principal(s) and team. The individual will prepare documents and correspondence. Additional responsibilities include external client contact and direct or indirect responsibility for preparation of monthly billing and a wide variety of other routine administrative tasks for the principal(s).
The Legal Secretary possesses a mastery of specialized knowledge and skills in own area and demonstrates the ability to assume responsibility with minimal supervision, exercises excellent judgment and makes independent decisions within the scope of assigned authority. The Legal Secretary will effectively use his/her skills and knowledge to improve processes and procedures. The Legal Secretary II possesses knowledge and the ability regarding e-filing, preferably within both Federal and State courts.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Types and assembles, in final form, legal pleadings for filing in all state, federal or State Bar courts including proofreading and editing documents for accuracy, entering data into a database, and ensuring that litigation deadlines are met.
- Interprets local court rules for requisite format and number of duplications of pleadings. Checks legal citations, oversees the production of legal documents, and distributes documents to the appropriate court and in-house personnel.
- Types, proofreads, edits and/or assembles other legal documents, including but not limited to, pleadings, contracts, subpoenas, legal memoranda, letters, proposals and/or other documents unique to the department.
- Handles and understands written work, including editing, adjusting language or terminology and correcting grammar where appropriate to improve work product.
- Maintains and processes extensive, specialized client billing for principals, directly or indirectly.
- Compiles, assimilates, and organizes data or materials for clients or other departments within the Firm.
- Advises, provides information, and instructions and/or guidance to Junior Associates.
- Acts as an expert in the legal secretarial group, fielding questions from others and training less experienced colleagues as needed.
- Consistently works toward firm-wide or departmental goals in firm CRM, records retention, and other programs or initiatives.
- Maintains and updates comprehensive contact information using firm CRM Best Practices.
- Prevents scheduling conflicts, coordinates and facilities solutions with internal & external clients.
- Communicates extensively with clients, counsel, partners and other high-level directors.
- Investigates and responds to client requests.
- Answers phones, transfers calls, takes messages, establishes conference calls, and uses voicemail.
- Understands and fully utilizes word-processing functions for document preparation.
- Coordinates, compiles, organizes and sends materials to clients.
- Reviews and processes administrative and personal charges via BillBack program.
- Maintains principals’ time in Carpe Diem.
- Files updates to Securities Handbook.
- Takes and transcribes dictation.
- Utilizes iManage document management system effectively as a central repository for all matter related documents.
- Maintains filing per team utilizing Firm filing standards using IRM.
- Opens all mail (may include electronic emails) reading for content and/or action, forwarding or responding if applicable.
- Prepares New Matter Reports and updates list of client/matter codes.
- Prepares and checks for new matters.
- Makes travel arrangements and completes travel and expense reports for reimbursement in Concur.
- Schedule meetings, reserves conference rooms, coordinates video/audio equipment, and orders food.
- Manages principals’ outlook calendars using discretion and judgment when accepting meeting requests.
- Monitors CLE credits for principals.
- Updates Secretarial Desk Notes, as needed.
- Practices and fosters an atmosphere of teamwork, collaboration and cooperation.
- Performs all other duties as necessary and as assigned by your supervisor for efficient functioning of the Department, Office and Firm.
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- College degree is a plus.
- 5+ years of relevant experience required.
- Previous Legal Secretarial experience required.
- Knowledge of the Firm’s Policies and Procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- High attention to detail and ability to multitask in a high paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate work.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to manage workflow and delegate projects as necessary.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and manage deadlines.
- Ability to think critically and analytically in a pressured environment.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate with various levels of people within the organization.
- Ability to work productively and cooperatively with other employees.
- Ability to constantly learn new skills as they become necessary.
- Equipment: computer, fax machines, duplicating machines, scanners.
- Systems Required: iManage, MS Office, Elite, Workday, Carpe Diem, CRM.