Title: “Legal Secretary”
Location: Washington, DC (Hybrid)
The Legal Secretary II provides secretarial and administrative support to the direct and in-direct assigned principal(s) and team. The individual will prepare documents and correspondence. Additional responsibilities include external client contact and direct or indirect responsibility for preparation of monthly billing and a wide variety of other routine administrative tasks for the principal(s).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Communicates with internal and external clients, principals and team.
- Manages principals’ outlook calendars.
- Investigates and responds to client requests.
- Answers phones, transfers calls, takes messages, establishes conference calls, and uses voicemail.
- Handles correspondence, written and electronic.
- Prepares New Matter Reports and updates list of client/matter codes.
- Coordinates, compiles, organizes and sends materials to clients.
- Understands and fully utilizes word-processing functions for document preparation.
- Prepares client bills and associated cover letters for principals and sends to clients as needed.
- Reviews and processes administrative and personal charges via BillBack program.
- Maintains principals’ time in Carpe Diem.
- Maintains and updates comprehensive contact information for all principals using Firm’s CRM Best Practices.
- Maintains filing per team, utilizing Firm filing standards including Kwiktag.
- Utilizes iManage document management system effectively as a central repository for all matter related documents.
- Open all mail (may include electronic e-mails) and forwards if applicable.
- Makes travel arrangements and completes travel & expense reports for reimbursement in Concur.
- Schedules meetings, reserves conference rooms, coordinates video/audio equipment, and orders food.
- Monitors CLE credits for principals.
- Updates Secretarial Desk Notes, as needed.
- Maintains appropriate sense of urgency and completes all work assignments within agreed upon deadlines.
- Practices and fosters an atmosphere of teamwork and cooperation.
- Performs any and all other duties as necessary and as assigned by your supervisor for efficient functioning of the Department, Office and Firm.
QUALIFICATIONS / KSAs:
- High School Diploma is required. College degree is a plus.
- Previous Legal Secretarial experience preferred (3-10 years).
- Knowledge of the Firm’s Policies and Procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- High attention to detail and ability to multitask in a high paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate work.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to manage workflow and delegate projects as necessary.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and manage deadlines.
- Ability to think critically and analytically in a pressured environment.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate with various levels of people within the organization.
- Ability to work productively and cooperatively with other employees.
- Ability to constantly learn new skills as they become necessary.
- Equipment: computer, fax machines, duplicating machines, scanners.
- Systems Required: iManage, MS Office, Elite, Legiant, Carpe Diem, and CRM.
The Legal Secretary II will interact regularly with Firm Lawyers, paralegals and staff in facilitating the flow of all administrative work. The Legal Secretary II will also interact, from time to time, with clients, counsel and court personnel. The Legal Secretary II will work regularly with other Firm Departments such as Administration, Finance, Hospitality, Reception, Word Processing, Facilities and Office Services (EPIQ), as well as members of all firm’s regional offices.